Sunday, January 17, 2010

New Year and All

I am back at work. Just started last Monday. I do enjoy my job (well, most of the time.....not so much when I realized I had printed ALL of our letters and they were all wrong).

Still trying to sew. I found the fabric for Sam's 2009 Halloween costume. I am going to try and use it up. So far, I have almost finished a reusable shopping bag. Okay, that's like .5 yard out of five. I also fused it to a cotton woven. I had to make it sturdier and prettier on the inside. I am using this pattern. It is very easy to make and doesn't require a lot of sewing knowledge or precision. You can also make different sizes depending on much (or little) fabric you have on hand.

I was thinking about making some personalized ones for family and friends. Now that I have made one, I can makes changes on my pattern so that it suits my style of sewing better. I was thinking about things like monogramming, fabric choices, personal fabric selection. There are so many ways you can make this bag your own. I would encourage everyone to just jump in and make one. After all, it's only fabric.

When I first started sewing, many years ago, I was all caught up in being perfect. And, I think we should STRIVE for perfection but accept that PERFECT isn't always the "perfect" idea. If a project is just beyond salvage, I toss it. This is a hobby for me. If I can't relax and enjoy it, then it becomes a chore. And I don't know about you, but I am soooooo behind on my chores that I don't need to make anymore of those for myself (chores, that is). And, now that I am back at work, I have even less time to sew. I am not going to stress about projects not turning out. Some go into the UFO pile where they will eventually be finished or tossed. I find that some projects just need a little time away from me. Then I either fall in love again and work on them so more or find that I don't miss them and out they go. And out they go with NO GUILT. Just gotta let'em go.

I will try to write again soon. I think about my BLOG a lot. Always have ideas for it but not enough inspiration to actually sit and write. Can't imagine where Sam gets his distaste for writing from. And I took lots of journalism/writing classes. And made A's!!!!!! But I didn't really like them. Just goes to show that just because you CAN do something (like writing) doesn't mean that you will ENJOY it. Pick your hobbies carefully.

Love to all.

No comments: